Thursday, January 22, 2009

Head Bump!

Poor little guy had a tumble down some stairs at daycare... unfortunately they were slate stairs, so there was rather a panic about how serious it might be - despite the fact that he was playing and happily crawling around minutes after. So I took him to the doctor who proclaimed him absolutely fine - but I still had a nagging doubt. After a sleepless night watching him breath we took him back to the doctor's office the next day to see our doctor, Dr. Morse, who also proclaimed him fine, and was more worried about his nasty cold. On top of the tumble, he had a cold, an ear infection and he was teething! Talk about triple whammy - but he is such a trooper and barely batted an eyelid at all the drama.
My biggest problem with the whole episode - once I realized that Owen he was just fine of course - was the first doctor we went to see. He said that the only other thing to possibly do was a Cat Scan to make sure there was no internal bleeding. I asked him if he thought I should do that and he said, "well, I don't think you need to, but if you want to you can." This obviously left me wondering if I should, as surely he would have said there was no need at all to do one if there was in fact no need. I know he was just saying what he felt he needed to to cover himself if there was a problem, but American medicine is so frustrating in that way. The big decisions get left up to you because a) you have to pay for it and b) if the doctor actually said "no, you don't need to" and it turned out you did - you could sue. So, basically you end up having to be the one who makes the decision, you being the one with no medical training! I can totally understand why this is the case, but I really wish it wasn't, it is so frustrating. It made me realize why the TV program House is so popular over here - he's the only doctor most Americans have ever experienced who does what he wants to - be damned with what the patient wants! Anyway, vent over - all's well that ends well.

No comments: